What you'll need:
- 2 cups almonds
- 1 cup pitted dates or figs (pre-chop these up or give them a whiz in the blender prior to mixing)
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 3 'scoops' (about 1/2 cup) of protein powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup espresso coffee
- 2-3 tbsp of agave nectar or honey (optional)
- Few tbsp's of hemp seed or chia seed (optional)
- Shredded coconut, or oats or something of a similar nature, to roll the balls in.
- A blender or food processor
Put the almonds in the food processor and blend until you have an almond meal/flour consistency. Add dates, flax seed, protein powder in the food processor and mix until blended. Add the coffee, vanilla and agave and mix.
|Ready to make some tasty balls!|
Make small balls (an inch diameter or so) and roll in coconut. Place them in an air-tight container, separating layers with parchment paper. Store in the freezer. Take them out and throw a few in your lunch box for snacks or eat them after a workout for a quick snack.
You can use the base - almonds, dates, flax seed, protein powder + 1/2 cup liquid - with almost any variety of other ingredients to make different types of balls. For example, try adding some lemon zest, dried cranberries and cranberry juice. Or, raisins, chopped walnuts, cinnamon and apple juice.